I have a week break approaching in April, and I'm looking for an adventure! I was hoping to complete a rim-to-rim-to-rim hike of the Grand Canyon, but silly me forgot how early you have to request back country permits. I'm not convinced that going from the South Rim all the way up the North Rim and finding a campsite at the top amid winter weather warnings all in one day is a prudent decision. Doesn't look like I'll be able to do anything beyond day hikes if I go. Beyond that, here's my brainstorm of options and why they would/wouldn't work.
-I'm ruling out Joshua Tree because 1) I'm not a climber 2) I'm planning to going in May 3) I haven't developed an affinity for desert camping enough to justify two trips in such a short span of time.
-Zion would be sweet for obvious reasons, but the likely weather conditions and drive time make this somewhat unappealing.
-Going to Channel Islands mid-April, so that is out.
-There's talk of hiking the John Muir Trail this summer, and it's too far and wintery to hit the Sierras. Besides, I might be on board for a hike/climb near Big Pine/Finger Lakes in June.
-Sitting at home/practicing all week in my studio is not an option for obvious reasons.
My break starts April 5th, and there's a beach tournament in San Diego April 12-13 that I want to be back for. I'm ideally looking for something 2-4 days in length. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thursday, March 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Well, I see you have no comments so let me be the first. Whell, hell hell, Sam Williams, how the hell is it. The funny thing is I was just thinking about you the other day. You just popped into my head at random. How odd, then you facebook friended me. How odd. Keep writing, it is gut. We should catch up. Email me sometime: matthewsullenbrand@gmail.com.
Hope all is well,
Matt
How about Big Sur? It'll be a nice coastal drive up there too. Damn, I wish I had spring break!
Ha! I was totally thinking Big Sur as well. I just got back from Paso Robles, and that area is awesome too. I bet you could take your bike and bike to some awesome wineries near the coast.
-Lisa
Post a Comment